Dr. Fishman has dedicated his research and clinical practice to working with patients with all forms of dry eye disease including neuropathic pain syndrome after ophthalmic surgeries. Dr. Fishman offers both in-office and video consultations (for California and international residents) on managing dry eye disease.
What many don’t realize about dry eyes is that it is a disease and can be a sign of other diseases including autoimmune disease, endocrine disorders, and gastrointestinal disorders. For some patients, severe dry eye disease is part of a pain syndrome that involves more than just the eye. As such, Dr. Fishman performs an holistic evaluation and treats dry eye disease using not only classic dry eye therapies, but also therapies “borrowed” from Neurology, Otolaryngology and Dermatology. Dr. Fishman has a special interest in treating the ongoing symptoms of dry eye and is running several clinical trials involving dry eye disease.
Dry eye disease is often multifactorial and demands a highly individualized approach. Dr. Fishman will spend a tremendous amount of time to work with you to individualize a treatment plan including in-office solutions for lasting comfort.
Dr. Fishman has a wide range of techniques to use (IPL, iLux, MiboFLow, PRGF, Maskin Probing, Punctal plugs/Cautery, BlephEx) and is therefore better able to decide on a highly personalized plan. In addition to these procedures, Dr. Fishman also offers the following:
- Scleral Contact Lenses – A large contact lens that is placed on the eye while filled with saline, keeping the eye moist at all times. Often the last line of defense for crippling dry eye.
- High Concentration in-office Tea Tree lid cleaning for Demodex overgrowth
- Specialized eye drops from ophthalmic compounding pharmacies: Testosterone, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Castor Oil, High Concetration Cyclosporine
- iTear Lacrimal Gland Stimulator
- Amniotic Membrane (AM) Derived Products
- Prokera- a healing membrane placed directly on the eye for several days to facilitate intensive healing of hard to treat conditions
- Regenesol – morselized AMUC Amniotic Membrane Umbilical Cord (UC) product in a gel form
- Genesis – Amniotic Cytokine Extract (ACE) drives from AM through cryopreservation
- Regener-Eyes – biologic eyedrop made of anti-inflammatory cytokines and growth factors from amniotic membrane